Wednesday, April 18, 2012

About Piety and Theology

From The Resurgence Blog Theological Enemies Post
Philip Ryken, President of Wheaton College and author of Loving the Way Jesus Loves, writes on loving your theological enemies. He says, "Be loving in church, in friendships and online." There are blogs that I don't like to go to now because the comments are not loving. People are bent on being "right". LORD, please forgive our pride. No longer do I care to debate. I care to grow in sanctification, love for my LORD and for everyone.

Video from The Gospel Coalition on Pietism and Confessionalism
Mike Horton, Ligon Duncan and Devin DeYoung discuss this issue. Duncan says, "In the face of dead orthodoxy all of us are concerned about piety, and about confession and about a lived-out theology. We are not interested in having our heads filled up with notions that do not express themselves in the totality of our being in the way we think, in the way we act, in the way we life." Horton says he is not a pietist, but believes in piety. I wonder if I am a pietist at heart reacting to the Reformed debates which see to go on endlessly.

From the Ligonier blog  Theology and Doxology
Here Michael Haykin, Professor of Church History and Biblical Spirituality at Southern Baptist Seminary, writes on the "cold intellectual system" of the Sandemanians. He points out that "faith and right theology must entail more than knowledge."
LORD, may I show Your love in my life, not just theological obsession. I repent of my theological obsession earlier on this blog. When I get to heaven, may You say well done with how I handle creeds and piety and keep me growing in wisdom and knowledge. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be very respectful when you comment. I will try to respond to all comments in a timely manner. All comments are now moderated.