Dr. Eyrich reminds us in his book, A Call to Christian Patriotism, of some more reflective Scripture that I am listing here in Part Three just as I have listed his Scripture in the previous two posts.
- Job 40:1-42:6 Our help comes from God who says everything under heaven in Mine. (41:11). The Republican and Democratic Conventions are His!
- We need to be training the next generation according to Deuteronomy 6:1-14. Eyrich gives nine steps from this passage.
1) Lay a theological foundation by teaching our children the character of God.
2) Build a relationship with God.
3) Practice biblical meditation.
4) Conduct formal instruction.
5) Practice casual application.
6) Practice intentional appreciation for God and the Bible.
7) Use the Bible and do God's work.
8) Display the reality of God through art.
9) Guard you heart.
The war cry "Raise my taxes!" is the preemptive strike of union leadership who convinced their members that it is better to raise taxes to temporarily sustain a failed system than to cut social service budgets to correct the failing system and preserve a state. . . . Study history and learn from the mistakes of others, or you will repeat history. It seems to me that the history of Israel teaches that if we exchange freedom under God with its accompanying personal responsibility for the assurance of government to provide cradle-to-grave care, we sacrifice freedom to gain servitude (p. 43). . . . In our democratic republic, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are to us what the God-given law was to Israel in a theocratic kingdom. To dismantle these historical documents either by neglect or by activist courts is to replace them with a "king" that will rule for the benefit of power. Our very existence, as America is dependent on two things. The first is the proclamation of the Gospel, which seeds our population with God fearing citizens. The second is the guarding and enforcement of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as they were given in their historical context (p. 44) .In this current election, there are conditions beyond the faith of the candidates and maybe even beyond whether God is mentioned in the convention platform in a very cursory way. The very history and unique character of these United States of American are what is at stake.
To be continued next Monday.